|1||DR.ARUN KUMAR, M.D.,D.M.,||NEUROLOGIST||WED||6.00 PM - 7.00 PM|
What is a neurologist?
A neurologist is a medical doctor who specializes in treating diseases of the nervous system. The nervous system is made of two parts: the central and peripheral nervous system. It includes the brain and spinal cord.
Illnesses, disorders, and injuries that involve the nervous system often require a neurologist’s management and treatment.
What does a neurologist do?
Neurologists manage and treat neurological conditions, or problems with the nervous system. Symptoms that commonly require a neurologist include:
- coordination problems
- muscle weakness
- a change in sensation
People who are having problems with their senses, such as touch, vision, or smell, may also need to see a neurologist. Problems with senses are sometimes caused by nervous system disorders.
Neurologists also see patients with:
- seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- multiple sclerosis
- neuromuscular disorders, such as myasthenia gravis
- infections of the nervous system, including encephalitis, meningitis, or brain abscesses
- neurodegenerative disorders, such as Lou Gehrig’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease
- spinal cord disorders, including inflammatory and autoimmune disorders
- headaches, such as cluster headaches, and migraine